Communication is one of the most important things which are needed for websites to be profitable. The reason is that it is needed in making Internet users to understand what a particular business is all about. Communication is very important, whether you have a blog, an e-commerce website, a portfolio website, a government website, an information website, or any other type of site for maintaining an online presence.
As communication is an important thing, it is necessary for the internet marketer or the web designer to consider how to communicate effectively when creating a site. However, the problem is that communication is always overlooked or not given one enough attention; instead of that, the attractiveness of the sites is what is taken to be important.
Before you hire a designer to bring your vision to life, you must make sure that he or she is well-versed in visual communication using both digital design and photography. Experts such as Brian Petruzzi or other veterans in the field are your best bet.
This post is going to discuss some of the important things that are needed to communicate easily during web designing.
There are many ways through which a website communicates with visitors. These are some of them:
- Text: this is the most popular communication method for website owners, as it is the first thing that visitors see when visiting a website. Text may be of great importance to the success of your online presence, though this depends on the type of website that you are running. If you have a membership website, the type of content that you will be maintaining will be different from that of an e-commerce website.
- Images: images and photos are also very necessary when communicating on the internet. The visitor clearly and easily understands your message when an image is being used for illustration, and when communicating through this medium, you should make sure that it is harmony with the rest of the communication methods of your website.
- Titles and headers: these are also very important during web designing, newspaper design and magazine layouts, as they help in communicating effectively. Human beings are naturally interested in knowing something very quickly, especially when using the internet. The major points and ideas of your website can be easily communicated through titles and headers, making it easier for your visitors to have an idea of many other things to expect from the rest of your content.
- Icons: icons are very good because they help you in communicating messages without the need to use any text. Immediately the image is seen, the visitor easily understands what you are talking about. Some examples are social media icons which indicate links to popular websites like Facebook and Twitter.
Some other things that help in effective communication through web design are design styles, colors, audio and video.
Problems of Using Clear Communication to Create the Website
There are some challenges that need to be overcome if you want to communicate clearly and effectively with your internet visitors.
- The amount of content: you need to make a decision on the amount of information and content needed when designing your website. It is good to have a lot of information for your visitors, but at the same time, you could find it difficult in communicating clearly. Make sure that you do not post a lot of content on the same page, as that could make your visitors to be confused. The page should only contain the key messages that you want your visitors to have.
- Your visitors are not the same: you need to remember that each visitor is unique, and it is not easy to have all of them classified in the same group. It is necessary for the website to be designed, taking into consideration the target audience, and be aware that some diversity will always be there. For instance, Internet users visit a website for different reasons, and these affect the way they respond to the information received from a site.
- Clarity: communication with clarity is a very important thing, though this is very difficult for many web designers. It is necessary for the website to communicate clearly and quickly because of the fact that a new visitor is not likely to spend much time on your site. You should always go straight to the point if you want to have a clear communication; you must not make too much noise, and you should communicate your message in a way that any visitor can easily understand.
- Complete and brief communication: make sure that your message is as short and concise as possible; that way, your visitors will understand easily. However, there are some exceptions, an example of which is when you have an in-depth article explaining the processes needed to be followed when carrying out a task.
- Develop a personality: the way you communicate online is not the same as when carrying out a face-to-face communication. A publication is effective when you show a kind of personality, a very important thing for companies that maintain online presence. For instance, the slogan of your company could be a representation of the personality that you are showing, and this is the message that will always be remembered when a visitor leaves your site.
- Less design, more communication: a website with excessive design can cause a lot of distraction to your internet visitors. The content of your website must not be submerged by the design.
- Gaining the trust of your visitors: one of the biggest challenges that are faced by website designers is how to gain the trust of visitors. For instance, your visitors would find it difficult to trust you when your sales page uses words that try to force them to buy a particular product. To overcome this challenge, you could make use of testimonials from your satisfied customers.
- Attention: it is necessary to look for ways of getting and keeping the attention of your visitors, especially if they belong to the group of people who do not spend much time on a site. This is where having a clear and concise message is very important.
What to Communicate
When creating a website, you need to know the message that will be communicated and some things that will be discussed below will give you some ideas.
- The purpose of the website or company: the purpose of your company or website is an important thing that must be communicated. This makes it possible for your visitors to accurately and quickly understand why you created the website, helping them to know that it is necessary for them to stay on the site. The purpose can be made known by having the main message or slogan at the homepage of your site; for instance, if the name of your website is Bloggether, there should be a welcome message with the question, “What is Bloggether?”
- What is offered: After people have known the purpose of your website, it is necessary for them to know what the website is going to offer them. This is different from website to website. For instance, a company providing certain services needs to provide information about the types of services offered, while an e-commerce website will provide a clear information on the types of products available for purchase.
- How visitors can benefit: Knowing the purpose of your website is not enough. The visitors also need to know the benefits that they will derive from using your products or services. For instance, if you are selling weight loss products, your homepage could have a message like, “Lose 10 pounds in two weeks”.
- Let your visitors take action: it is not enough to communicate the populace of your website and let them know the benefits of your products or services. Another important thing is to tell the visitors to take action. For instance, an e-commerce website should not make it difficult for visitors also take action. The website needs to give clear instructions on how to order online or find a local store from where to make the purchase.
There are still many companies not making money through the internet today. In most cases, the problem has to do with not communicating well. Following some of the tips mentioned above is one of the ways of overcoming this problem.